Hold on to your socks because I have some fantastic news. Behold! The watermelon has recently been dubbed the title “Superfood”. In previous years people have lost their minds over this word alone. The simple utter of “superfood” has had quinoa, kale, chia, and hemp seeds all flying off the shelves. Personally, I think some foods become trendy while most folks don’t realize the potential benefits of what they’re eating.
Watermelon is typically a flavor that goes first in the bunch. It’s great in candy, slushies, popsicles, and various drinks. Watermelons obviously have great hydration powers, but what might be shocking to some is that they contain a lot of lycopene – which is a powerful antioxidant. This antioxidant helps cardiovascular health as well as bone health and reducing stress! Here are a few other benefits:
- One serving contains 16% of your daily Vitamin C
- It has potassium to clear your brain
- Phenolic compounds in the fruit reduce inflammation
- Increases flow to urine (gross, but still healthy)
- In turn, easing strain on kidneys
- Being 90% water watermelon energizes you while hydrating
- Low in calories, fat, and sodium
So there you have it folks. Watermelon is more than just a great Jolly Rancher flavor. This summer fruit is the gift that keeps on giving.
Dig in, cut it up, or just grab a spoon – your body will thank you.